Game Based Learning and Gamification

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash
Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

As I was looking into myths about game based learning and gamification the most common misconception I found was that they are the same. Both game based learning and gamification “strategies promote engagement and sustained motivation” (Centre for Teaching Excellence, n.d.) the way they achieve that is different. However they differ in that gamification uses elements or mechanics from games in learning activities and game based learning the activity itself is a game (TeachThought Staff, n.d.).

Another misconception I found is that gamification is just structured competition (Shannon, n.d.). While gamification could be used to structure competition in a class or workplace it is not the only way it can be used. Having students partner or group up to collaborate during an activity or stay focused on improving from a previous individual performance.   

Next, I was interested in the misconception that game based learning and gamification can fix engagement issues and become the perfect classroom management tool (TeachThought Staff, n.d.). While using these strategies in a class can help students need to be intrinsically motivated to learn and engage.

Photo by Bermix Studio on Unsplash
Photo by Bermix Studio on Unsplash

The last misconception I wanted to look at is that there is no science to support the use of game based learning and gamification. A quick google or University library search will results in many different studies and research projects involving game based learning and gamification. The study conducted by Khan, Ahmad, & Malik claimed that game based learning had “significant positive impact on learners’ engagement” (2017). 

The misconceptions I found connected with the content in this course in that both game based learning and gamification are valuable tools for a teacher to use but will not instantly engage and captivate all learners.

Lastly, I wanted to include this video I found because I think the speaker brings up many good reasons to incorporate game based learning and gamification into your classroom.

Centre for Teaching Excellence. (n.d.). Gamification and game-based learning. University of Waterloo. https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/teaching-resources/teaching-tips/educational-technologies/all/gamification-and-game-based-learning 

Khan, A., Ahmad, F. & Malik, M.M. (2017). Use of digital game based learning and gamification in secondary school science: The effect on student engagement, learning and gender difference. Education and Information Technologie, 22.(11). DOI:10.1007/s10639-017-9622-1 

Shannon, J. (n.d.). 7 common myths about gamification. Gamify. https://www.gamify.com/gamification-blog/10-common-misconceptions-about-gamification

TeachThought Staff. (n.d.). The difference between gamification and game-based learning. TeachThought. https://www.teachthought.com/learning/difference-gamification-game-based-learning/