Finding my Minecraft home

Making Progress

Okay, I have spent a bit more time in this game and this was the first week where I wanted to keep playing after my scheduled time was up. Because of the open world concept that this game has I was finding it hard to really focus on anything. I also found the day-night cycles annoying because I felt the need to run back ā€˜homeā€™ every time the sun went down. Oh yeah, I found a home!

My Town (itā€™s a ghost town)

I found an abandoned village at the end of my last session and I was genuinely (a little) excited. I didnā€™t know that you can set a respawn point at a bed when you sleep in it, so that was great. Now when I die I donā€™t just appear in a random spot, somewhat close to all the loot I dropped, on the map. I cleared the spiderwebs out of one of the buildings and added doors so I could stay safe during the dangerous night mode in the game. This probably took me way longer than it should have but thats what I get for watching a single how to video on this convoluted game.

This feels familiar, sort of.

During this Minecraft session I started finding a bit more enjoyment in the crafting side of the game. I

Cooking some food in Minecraft

am building up an array of materials and am able to remember where I can find certain materials in the game. In fact, the crafting side of the game reminded me of the game Stardew Valley. Which got me wondering because I enjoyed playing Stardew Valley so why wasnā€™t that same enjoyment coming through in Minecraft? There is even a day/night cycle, a part of Minecraft that I have been frustrated by, in Stardew Valley so what gives? Then I realized that I stopped playing Stardew Valley after I had completed the storylines in the game. So maybe that is the problem, although Iā€™ve spent hours in loot-grind cycles in other games. It could be the open world, no obvious goals that makes it seem a little pointless to me.Ā 

Wait, is Minecraft ā€œfree inquiryā€ in game form?!

Okay Iā€™ll have to unpack that idea on my own for a little bit. Next time Iā€™ll be talking about venturing away from my new found home and delving deep into the earth around me, after all it is called MINEcraft.

Until next time!