PE Blog #1

Learning to row

Since the pandemic restrictions were put in place last spring I have been spending much more time at home and, mostly, sitting at a desk or computer. So when I found out that my 310 class would have us try out a new recreation activity I was pretty excited to have more motivation to get moving. One of my housemates got a rowing machine in the summer and since it is in a common area they told all of us we could use it if we wanted to try it out. I had initially been hesitant to use the rowing machine, but I figured that this was the perfect excuse to try it out. 

Before I started on the rowing machine I checked out a few videos on proper form and techniques, my housemate also gave me a few helpful tips to get me started. They also warned me about starting out too fast. Originally I had thought I could sort of jump in and go for 30 mins but they suggested to start with 10 mins the first time and work my way up from there and am I happy I did. I normally get exercise by biking so my legs had no issues with the rowing but my upper body was a whole other story. After my first 10 mins I felt pretty good, but later that night there was some pain in my back and arms. The next day I felt good so I went for another 10 mins and continued doing just 10 mins the first week and managed to get 4 days on the rower.

I had some back and arm pains but nothing that didn’t feel better in one or two days.

Until next time!