Following an exercise plan

I had been rowing for a few weeks when I decided that I should try something more structured than the 30 mins (10 min intervals with a 2 min rest) of rowing at a moderate pace of 23 strokes per minute (spm). I started using one of the workout routines from concept2.com to add more interest into the workout because it had started to become pretty boring. Having some set times and spm to aim for throughout the workout added some dynamics that helped keep me focused and engaged while rowing.

Here is a sample of one of the routines from the concept2 website

• 3 minutes at 20 strokes per minute (spm), comfortable effort; 1 minute rest.
  • 3 minutes at 22 spm, harder effort; 1 minute rest.
  • 3 minutes at 24 spm, comfortable effort; 1 minute rest.
  • 3 minutes at 24 spm, harder effort; 1 minute rest.
  • 10 minutes steady state rowing at your choice of power and stroke rate. Make note of what pace you settle on, because you will use it in your next workout.

I liked how the site gave 5 workouts to do and repeat. It also has you track the resistance you use and your stroke rate which I hadn’t been doing at first. I knew I was going faster than when I first started but writing it down has been a good exercise to see exactly how or when I am improving. 

Stretching is your friend.

I have found that doing some dynamic stretching before and after rowing has helped me avoid pain or injury so far. But I will say that my hands still hurt after most sessions so I’ll have to try and relax my grip somehow. I also do some stretching in my rests between rowing intervals which I think has been helpful. I also sometimes jump on the rowing machine for 5-10 mins to give myself a brain break during the day. I can definitely see the benefit of these small sessions to help get resettled with better focus.

I’ve been thinking about doing some follow along rowing video workouts but that will have to wait until I’ve done a few rounds of the exercise plan I’m working on.

Until next time!