EDCI 336 Final Class

Final Class reflection

For our last class we discussed games in education and did a bit of a wrap up for the course.

I was especially interested in the topic today because it ties in so closely to my free inquiry. I was actually inspired to play Minecraft for my inquiry because it is part of a program for the summer camp I worked for last summer. I was working as a sub for that camp so I didn’t need to know anything about Minecraft but it made me want to try it out. I suppose I was just blown away by the idea that a game this popular could be educational. I wish we could have had the chance to connect with the teacher from Colquitz who runs a Minecraft lab. From what I heard in class they are doing some really interesting stuff with the game. 

We also got together in Google docs to brainstorm games that we have seen and/or experienced in classrooms before. When it was pointed out that these were mostly math games I felt a bit silly for not noticing this before. It makes sense because math (at elementary levels) is an undisputed topic, and probably easy for game companies to deal with translation, internationalization, and localization of these types of game so they can find a larger audience (because profit). 

I like the video that was included in the slides about Minecraft being the ultimate educational tool 

I really think that games in the classroom is going to become more and more common, especially seeing large companies like Google and Microsoft making pushes to get into schools. 

However I do agree with what was said in class about how games are currently used as reflection, review, or practice and maybe not as a teaching tool. There is much more to this topic than what we covered in class and there is a part of me that thinks this will be changing quite a bit during my teaching career. Games in classrooms is definitely something I will be keeping my eye on during my degree and once I start teaching.