Designing for Interaction

(Math Antics, 2014)

For my group’s interactive learning resource we decided to make a unit on measurement and perimeter. The lessons in this unit are being made to serve both synchronous in-class or asynchronous distance learning situations. In this blog post, I will answer a few questions on how the video above can be used as a resource.

What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

The video I selected uses direct instruction to teach how to measure and calculate the perimeter of polygons. The speaker focuses on explanations and examples but does not pause to ask questions of the viewer. Since the video does not involve any responses from the viewer I would label the interaction as “reflective” (Bates, 2019).

In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

After viewing this video learners will likely wonder about the perimeter of objects close at hand, like a notebook or pencil case. While some students may measure and calculate the perimeter of these objects out of curiosity, others will need explicit instruction to carry out that type of task (Bates, 2019).

What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

After learners have watched this video I would have them measure and calculate the perimeter of several shapes on a worksheet or using objects available in class or at their home. As the speaker says at the end of the video “to get good at math, takes practice” (Math Antics, 2014, 7:17) and I would invoke that as a way to encourage students to participate in the exercise. Having students practise like this will help further their understanding of perimeter and construct the math skills needed for more advanced topics. If I was using this in class I would play the video and have students use supplies in the classroom. I would also have a lesson available in Nearpod to include distance learners and for students struggling with the concepts.

How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

In the interactive learning resource that I created with my group learners will receive instant feedback in synchronous lessons through class discussion and group question and answer periods. There will also be the option to use Freshgrade in and out of class for students to show how they completed the different measurement and perimeter activities. The teacher can then reply to posts on Freshgrade with comments on how learners were engaging with the topic and their level of comprehension. This can help learners make sure they are on the right track and get any clarification they may need. 

How could the video have been designed to generate more or better activity from viewers or students?

Yes, I think that the video could have included more review and given time for students to use a guess and check method to find answers before they were given. However, using Nearpod I could add interactive activities into the video and I think doing so would create a better educational activity for learners. Having the option to add in multiple-choice or open-ended questions will help signal in-class teachers that it is time to have the class discuss or answer concepts from the video. For learners viewing this individually, this can be used as a formative assessment as they work through the video to prepare for measuring and calculating perimeter on their own. If you are interested in learning about how you can make interactive videos using Nearpod, check out this video

Bates, A. W. (2019, October 10). 9.6 Interaction. Teaching in a digital age (2nd ed.). Retrieved from https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/chapter/pedagogical-roles-for-text-audio-and-video/

Math Antics. (2014, February 10). Math Antics – Perimeter [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAY1bsazcgM

New EdTech Classroom. (2020, August 3). How to make interactive videos in Nearpod: Fall 2020 update! [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsF9u1B0bU

2 Responses

• I think a direct approach for teaching something like calculating perimeters is the way to go. Many good points listed with lots of references, nice post!